These Spiced Apricot Scones are a delectable mixture of allspice, vanilla, and dried fruit.
Spiced Apricot Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ½ cup chopped dried apricots
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and allspice, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add apricots, stirring to blend.
- In a liquid-measuring cup, combine ¾ cup cream and vanilla extract, stirring well. Add to flour mixture, stirring until mixture is evenly moist. (If dough seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently 4 to 5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a ¾-inch thickness. Using a 2¼-inch fluted round cutter, cut 10 scones from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Brush tops of scones with remaining 1 tablespoon cream.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, approximately 20 minutes.
From TeaTime March/April 2017
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!