These Spiced Cream Cheese Scones are perfect for the holiday season.
Spiced Cream Cheese Scones
- 2 cups bread flour
- ¼ cup cake flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger, divided
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 4 ounces cold cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon cloves, ¼ teaspoon allspice, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, and ¼ teaspoon ginger. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in butter and cream cheese until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add 1 cup cream to flour mixture, stirring until mixture is evenly moist.
- (If dough seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and gently knead 5 to 7 times. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a ½-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch fluted round cutter, cut 18 scones from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 2 tablespoons cream and remaining ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, remaining ¼ teaspoon cloves, remaining ¼ teaspoon allspice, remaining ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, and remaining ¼ teaspoon ginger. Brush tops of scones with cream mixture.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve warm.
Recommended Condiments: Clotted Cream, Orange-Cranberry Marmalade