This delicious Spiced Orange Sponge Cake, which uses beaten egg whites as leavening, is flavored with orange, citrusy spices coriander and cardamom, and a complementary marmalade glaze.
- 1 small orange
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon matzo flour
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ cup orange marmalade
- ½ cup orange-blossom honey
- Garnish: fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 300°. Spray a 9-inch cake pan with nonstick baking spray with flour; set aside.
- Grate zest from orange. Squeeze juice through a fine-mesh sieve into a small bowl. Set zest and juice aside.
- Place egg yolks in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer at high speed, beat yolks until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes. Gradually add sugar, beating until thick, approximately 5 minutes more. Add orange zest, orange juice, and vanilla extract, beating to combine. Set aside.
- Place egg whites in a separate large bowl. Using an electric mixer at medium-high speed, beat until stiff, glossy peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into egg-yolk mixture. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, coriander, and cardamom. Gently fold flour mixture into egg mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean, approximately 40 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine marmalade and honey, cooking until mixture is warm. Drizzle sauce over cake.
- Garnish with strawberries, if desired.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!