Colorful asparagus, radishes, and peas rest atop tangy goat cheese filling in these delectable petite tarts.
Springtime Vegetable Tartlets
Serves: Makes 12
- 12 spears fresh asparagus
- 1 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated piecrust dough (2 sheets)
- 1 (4-ounce) package goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons whole yogurt
- ⅛ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium radishes, thinly sliced and cut into half circles
- ¼ cup fresh or frozen English peas
- Using a sharp knife, cut 2 inches of the tip end of each asparagus spear. (Reserve stem ends for another use, if desired.)
- In a small saucepan of boiling salted water, cook asparagus tips just until bright green and crisp, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and immediately drop into ice water. Drain, and pat dry. Using a sharp knife, cut each tip in half lengthwise.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Spray 12 (2-inch) tartlet pans with with baking spray with flour.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll dough. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a ⅛-inch thickness. Using a 3-inch round cutter dipped in flour, cut 12 rounds from dough. Transfer each dough round to a prepared tartlet pan, pressing into bottom and up sides. Using the wide end of a chopstick, gently press dough into indentations in sides of pans. Trim excess dough. Place tartlet pans on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Top each tartlet pan with a small parchment paper square or a paper cupcake liner, letting ends extend over edges, and fill with ceramic pie weights or dried beans.
- Bake until tartlet shell edges are lightly golden, approximately 8 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing weights and parchment. Let cool completely before carefully removing tartlet shells from pans.
- In a small bowl, stir together goat cheese, yogurt, paprika, and pepper. Transfer goat cheese mixture to a piping bag fitted with a large round tip. Pipe mixture into each tartlet shell.
- In a medium bowl, stir together lemon juice and thyme. Gradually add oil, whisking constantly, until fully incorporated. Add asparagus, radishes, and peas, tossing to coat. Arrange 2 asparagus pieces, 3 radish half circles, and 4 English peas in each tartlet. Serve immediately.
Tartlet shells can be prepared early in the day, cooled completely, and stored in an airtight container. Goat cheese filling can be prepared up to a day in advance, covered, and refrigerated. Stir well before using.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!