Inspired by the flavors of the popular Jammie Dodgers produced by Burton’s Biscuit Company, our linzer treats feature flower-shaped shortbread filled with strawberry jam.
Strawberry Jammy Flowers
Serves: Approximately 25
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- ¼ cup extra-fine granulated sugar
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup seedless strawberry jam
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, granulated sugar, and confectioners’ sugar with a mixer at medium-high speed until light and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla extract until incorporated. Add flour gradually, beating until a dough comes together.
- Divide dough into 2 portions and wrap with plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator and chill for at least an hour. (If dough is very hard, let rest at room temperature until dough is soft enough to roll out, 10 to 15 minutes.)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Unwrap a dough portion and place on a lightly floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a ⅛-inch thickness. Using a 2¼-inch flower-shaped cutter, cut as many shapes as possible from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place 2 inches apart on a rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with remaining chilled dough portion, cutting the same number of shapes and rerolling scraps as necessary. Using a very small round cutter, cut out and remove centers from half of flower shapes.
- Bake until edges of biscuits (cookies) are very light golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer biscuits to wire racks. Let cool completely.
- Spread a thin layer of jam onto flat bottoms of whole biscuits. Top each with a cut-out biscuit, flat side down. Fill centers of cutout biscuits with a small amount of jam. Return biscuits to rimmed baking sheets. Bake until jam is warmed and set, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer biscuits to wire racks. Let cool completely.
- Store biscuits in a single layer in an airtight container.