These pretty Strawberry Maypole Cupcakes are garnished with an easy DIY maypole and ribbons that give a special touch.
Strawberry Maypole Cupcakes
Yield: 9 large cupcakes or 24 regular cupcakes • Preparation: 45 minutes • Bake: 19 to 25 minutes
- 2 cups cake flour, such as Swans Down
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup salted butter, softened
- 1¼ cups sugar
- ½ cup seedless strawberry jam
- Red paste food coloring, such as Wilton
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 teaspoons strawberry extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 recipe Vanilla Buttercream Frosting (recipe follows)
- Garnish: 1 Mini Maypole per cupcake (instructions follow)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place decorative baking cups* on a rimmed baking sheet. [If using regular baking cups, line wells of 2 (12-well) muffin pans.] Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt, whisking well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar. Beat at high speed with a mixer until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes. Add jam, beating until incorporated. Add red paste food coloring until desired shade of pink is achieved. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Set aside.
- In a liquid-measuring cup, combine sour cream, milk, and extracts, stirring until blended. Add flour mixture to butter mixture in thirds, alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Divide batter evenly among baking cups (approximately 7 tablespoons per large baking cup; 3 tablespoons per regular baking cup). Tap baking sheet on countertop to level batter and reduce air bubbles.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, 23 to 25 minutes (19 to 20 minutes for regular cupcakes). Let cool completely.
- Place Vanilla Buttercream Frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a very large open-star tip (Ateco #869). Pipe a frosting rosette onto each cupcake.
- Garnish each cupcake with a Mini Maypole, if desired.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate in a covered container until serving time.
*We used large baking cups from Simply Baked.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
Yield: 3½ cups • Preparation: 10 minutes
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 5 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine butter, confectioners’ sugar, milk, vanilla extract, and salt. Beginning at low speed and gradually increasing to high speed, beat with a mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Use immediately, or refrigerate in a covered container until needed. Let frosting come to room temperature before piping.
From TeaTime March/April 2010