Strawberry-Orange Thumbprint Cookies are a fun dessert to make if you have young children helping you in the kitchen.
Strawberry-Orange Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
- ½ teaspoon orange extract
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup seedless strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar with a mixer at medium speed until creamy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl as necessary. Add egg yolks, orange zest, and orange extract, beating to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating to combine and stopping to scrape sides of bowl as necessary.
- Using a levered 1-tablespoon scoop, portion dough, and drop 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets. Dip a rounded ½-teaspoon measuring spoon into flour, and press firmly into each ball of dough, making an indentation for jam. Fill each indentation with ¼ teaspoon jam.
- Bake until edges of cookies are golden brown, 13 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely on wire racks. Store in airtight containers for up to 3 days.