Cream cheese and dried fruit create delicious Strawberry Scones.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup chopped freeze-dried strawberries
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons cold heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Garnish: additional granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add strawberries and cream cheese, stirring to blend.
- In a liquid-measuring cup, combine cream and vanilla extract, stirring to blend. Add to flour mixture, stirring until mixture is evenly moist. (If dough seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently 4 to 5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a ¾-inch thickness. Using a 2¼-inch round cutter, cut 12 scones from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Garnish tops of scones with a sprinkle of sugar, if desired.
- Place baking sheet in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, approximately 20 minutes.
Recommended Condiments: Clotted Cream, Lemon Curd