Delightful in any season, Sweet Cream Scones pair perfectly with a cup of hot tea.
Sweet Cream Scones
Serves: approximately 10
- 3½ cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons castor sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, castor sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in flour mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together ¾ cup cream and egg. Pour cream mixture into well in flour mixure. Using a fork, stir together until a dough begins to form.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead gently until dough comes together. Shape dough into a round. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a 1-inch thickness. Using a 2¾-inch round cutter dipped in flour, cut 10 scones from dough. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Brush tops of scones with remaining 1 tablespoon cream.
- Bake until tops of scones are golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve warm.
- Garnish tops of scones with a dusting of confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!