Although you can make this soup with frozen peas, it’s absolutely delicious when you make it with the first fresh sweet peas of spring.
- 1 cup thinly sliced leeks, white parts only
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 6 cups frozen baby sweet peas
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: sour cream and pea shoots
- Separate leek slices into rings, and rinse well. Pat dry.
- In a medium saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add leeks, and cook until soft, approximately 5 minutes. Add flour, whisking constantly until lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Add chicken broth, whisking to combine. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add peas, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender, purée mixture. Add cream, salt, and pepper, stirring to combine.
- Garnish individual servings with sour cream and pea shoots, if desired. Serve warm.
From TeaTime March/April 2012
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!