Apricot preserves hold two tea and ginger-flavored cookies together in Tea & Ginger Linzer Cookies with Apricot Filling.
Tea & Ginger Linzer Cookies with Apricot Filling
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped| crystallized ginger
- 1 scant tablespoon ground fruity chamomile-honeybush herbal tea blend*
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup apricot preserves
- Garnish: cane sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar with a mixer at high speed until thick and creamy, approximately 5 minutes. Add egg, beating until incorporated. Add vanilla extract, stirring until combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, herbal tea, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating until dough comes together.
- Place half of dough between 2 sheets of wax paper. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a ⅛-inch thickness. Transfer dough and wax paper to a rimmed baking sheet. Freeze for 15 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Line several rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Working with one portion at a time, remove dough from freezer, and remove wax paper. Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Using a 2-inch fluted round cutter, cut 60 shapes from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place dough rounds 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Using a 1-inch heart-shaped Linzer cutter, cut and discard centers from 30 rounds.
- Garnish cut-out cookies with a sprinkle of cane sugar, if desired.
- Bake until edges of cookies are light golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire cooling racks, and let cool completely. Store at room temperature in an airtight container with layers separated by wax paper.
- Just before serving, spread each whole cookie with apricot preserves. Top each with a cut-out cookie. If desired, fill heart shapes with more apricot preserves.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!