In Apple Cider Slaying by Julie Anne Lindsey, apples are at the core of the family business run by Winona Mae Montgomery and her Granny Smythe. But this year’s crop is unseasonably ripe with murder.
Blossom Valley, West Virginia, is home to Smythe Orchards, Winnie and her Granny’s beloved twenty-five-acre farm and family business. But any way you slice it, it’s struggling. That’s why they’re trying to drum up business with the “First Annual Christmas at the Orchard,” a good old-fashioned holiday festival with enough delicious draw to satisfy apple-picking locals and cider-loving tourists alike—until the whole endeavor takes a sour turn when the body of Nadine Cooper, Granny’s long-time, grudge-holding nemesis, is found lodged in the apple press. Now, with Granny the number one suspect, Winnie is hard-pressed to prove her innocence before the real killer delivers another murder. Get cozy in your favorite reading nook and enjoy a cup of Winnie’s Slow Cookin’ Cider.
- 1 dozen apples in a variety of flavors
- 2 large oranges
- 1 lemon
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 3 teaspoons whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- Wash your apples thoroughly, then slice them before adding them to your slow cooker.
- Peel and quarter your oranges and lemon. Drop the pieces into the slow cooker with your apple slices.
- Add cinnamon sticks and cloves.
- Fill the cooker with water.
- Cover and cook on low all day or even overnight.
- Keep cooking until the apple slices are soft and tender.
- Mash the ingredients in the cooker, then continue to cook another 1 to 2 hours.
- Cover a large pot with cheesecloth and slowly pour the apple mixture in. Repeat the process several times as needed to catch large pieces.
- Strain once more with a fine-mesh strainer to eliminate smaller bits. Repeat until the cider is smooth.
- Add vanilla extract and sugars while your cider is warm. Stir.
- Pour and enjoy hot or cold! Refrigerate or freeze leftover cider.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Julie Anne Lindsey is an obsessive reader whose bookish heart was once torn between the love of her two favorite genres: toe-curling romance and chew-her-nails suspense. Now, she gets to write both and she’s loving every minute. Julie is the author of more than twenty-five novels, written both as herself and under several pen names. She currently writes series for Harlequin Intrigue, Kensington, Sourcebooks and Crooked Lane Books. When she’s not creating new worlds and fostering the epic love of fictional characters, Julie can be found carpooling her three kids around Northeastern Ohio and plotting with her shamelessly enabling friends. Julie is represented by Jill Marsal at the Marsal Lyon Literary Agency. She is a member of the International Thriller Writers, Romance Writers of America and Sisters in Crime. Julie also writes cozy mysteries under multiple pen names for Kensington, Sourcebooks and Crooked Lane Books. Learn more about Julie and her books at JulieAnneLindsey.com. For more Cozy Mysteries, visit KensingtonCozies.com.