Tomato and basil, one of summer’s best flavor combinations, combine in Tomato-Feta Tarts, a savory tart that is perfect for teatime.
Yield: 8 (4½-x-2½-inch) tarts • Preparation: 25 minutes • Bake: 10 minutes • Refrigerate: 30 minutes
Write a review
- 1 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (2 sheets)
- ½ cup mayonnaise, such as Hellman’s
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup red grape tomatoes
- 1 cup yellow grape tomatoes
- Garnish: fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll pie dough. Using a 4½-x-2½-inch tart pan as a guide, cut 8 rectangles from pie dough. Press dough rectangles into 8 tart pans, trimming excess. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Place tart pans on a rimmed baking sheet. Prick dough with a fork to prevent puffing during baking.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, ½ cup cheese, pepper, and basil, stirring to blend. Divide mayonnaise mixture evenly among prepared tart shells, spreading evenly.
- Cut tomatoes in half lengthwise. Divide tomato halves evenly among prepared tart shells, and arrange vertically in a shingled fashion. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons cheese over tomatoes.
- Bake tarts until tomatoes have softened and are tender, approximately 10 minutes. When cool enough to handle, remove from tart pans, and serve warm or at room temperature.
- Garnish with fresh basil, if desired.
- • Tart shells can be made earlier in the day and stored in an airtight container until needed.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/