Filled with golden syrup and bread crumbs, Treacle Tartlets are a traditional English dessert that is perfect for afternoon tea. Treacle Tartlets pictured with Earl Grey Roly Poly and Peach & Blackberry Puddings.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons lemon zest, divided
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1¼ cups golden syrup*
- 2 cups fresh white bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour, 1 teaspoon lemon zest, and salt. Add cold butter, and pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With processor running, add 3 tablespoons ice water in a slow, steady stream until dough comes together.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Wrap dough in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Coat bottoms and sides of 24 (2¾-inch) tartlet pans with butter and flour.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to a ¼-inch thickness. Using a 2¼-inch round cutter, cut 24 rounds from dough, rerolling scraps once. Press circles into prepared tartlet pans. Trim excess dough. Using the wide end of a chopstick, push dough into indentations of pans. Prick bottoms lightly with a fork. Place tartlets pans on prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and cream. Brush dough with egg wash. Freeze tartlet shells for 15 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, heat golden syrup over medium-low heat until melted. (Do not boil.) Add bread crumbs, lemon juice, and remaining 2 teaspoons lemon zest, stirring until combined. Spoon 1 tablespoon filling into each prepared tartlet shell.
- Bake until crusts are golden brown and filling is set, 30 to 35 minutes, covering with foil halfway through baking to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Serve warm or cold.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!