- Basil-Spinach Pesto (recipe follows)
- 6 slices honey wheat bread
- 9 ultra thin slices roast turkey
- Spread a layer of Basil-Spinach Pesto onto bread slices. On pesto side of 3 bread slices, layer 3 turkey slices each, ruffling slightly to fit bread. Top with remaining bread slices, pesto side down.
- Using a long serrated bread knife in a gentle sawing motion, trim and discard crusts from sandwiches. Cut each sandwich diagonally into 4 equal triangles. Serve immediately, or cover with damp paper towels, place in a covered container, and refrigerate until serving time.
Makes 1 cup
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh baby spinach leaves
- ½ cup whole walnuts, toasted
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup extra-light olive oil
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together basil, spinach, walnuts, cheese, garlic, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper until combined. With processor running, add olive oil in a slow, steady stream until combined. (Add additional oil to reach desired consistency, if needed.)
- Transfer pesto to a glass container with a lid. Before closing lid, cover surface of pesto with a thin layer of olive oil. Refrigerate before using, up to a day.