It truly is difficult to overstate just how simple these sandwiches, filled with wonderful seasonally appropriate ingredients, are to make. Turkey Tea Sandwiches with Cranberry-Sage Aïoli pictured with our Butternut Squash–Prosciutto Canapés.
Turkey Tea Sandwiches with Cranberry-Sage Aïoli
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup prepared whole berry cranberry sauce
- ¾ teaspoon minced fresh sage
- 8 slices whole-wheat bread, frozen
- 12 thin slices deli-style roast turkey
- Garnish: fresh sage leaves and fresh cranberries (cut in half crosswise)
- In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, cranberry sauce, and minced sage to make an aïoli.
- Spread a thin, even layer of aïoli onto frozen bread slices. Place 3 turkey slices on each of 4 bread slices, folding and trimming turkey to fit. Top each with a remaining bread slice, aïoli side down, to make 4 whole sandwiches.
- Using a serrated bread knife in a gentle sawing motion, trim and discard crusts from sandwiches, creating 4 equal squares. Cut each square sandwich in half diagonally, creating 8 equal triangles. Cover sandwiches with damp paper towels and let bread finish thawing.
- Garnish each sandwich with sage leaves and a cranberry half, if desired.
Make-Ahead Tip: Sandwiches can be assembled, covered with damp paper towels, placed in a covered container, and refrigerated, but should be served within an hour to keep cranberry aïoli from bleeding excessively into bread. Garnish just before serving.