In A Fatal Glow, Recently widowed Odessa Jones is sure the exclusive catering job she’s scored from wealthy businessman Casey Osborne will propel her catering career into the big leagues. So when Dessa’s pesky second sight warns her that Osborne is bad news, she ignores it. She wishes she hadn’t when he drops dead at his brunch after sampling her homemade preserves. Osborne’s death is declared a homicide. Dessa and the friends who helped her cook are considered suspects.
To clear her name and find the truth, Dessa delves into Casey Osborne’s life. Everyone from his sinister business partner to his tormented ex-wife has reason to kill him—and the opportunity to do it. With the help of her spirited aunt, loyal co-workers and mischievous cat Juniper, she desperately searches for answers. Until a second murder leads Dessa down a frightening path filled with insidious hidden agendas—and someone poised to change her life forever. Curl up with a cup of tea to enjoy this page-turner and try Dessa’s Handy-Dandy Collard Greens Quiche for a tasty snack.
- 1 piecrust for a 9- or 10-inch pie pan (When I have time, I make my own crust, but store-bought is fine.)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper or cayenne pepper
- 1½ cups chopped cooked fresh or frozen collard greens, room temperature*
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ¼ cup grated onion (Sweet or red adds a nice touch!)
- ½ to ¾ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° for a glass pan (375° for a metal pan).
- Roll out and ease pie dough into bottom and up sides of pie pan. Tuck edges under and crimp. Using a fork, prick bottom and sides of dough. Partially bake until crust begins to color, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs and milk. Whisk in oregano, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Stir in collard greens, bell pepper, and onion.
- Sprinkle half of cheese on piecrust. Pour egg mixture on top of cheese. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake until a knife inserted halfway between center and outside edge comes out clean, 40 to 60 minutes, depending on type of pan used. Let rest 10 minutes before cutting into wedges to serve.
Valerie Wilson Wesley is the bestselling author of the Tamara Hayle Mysteries, which include When Death Comes Stealing and Dying in the Dark. Among her award-winning novels are Playing My Mother’s Blues, Always True to You in My Fashion, and Ain’t Nobody’s Business If I Do. She is also the author of the paranormal romances When the Night Whispers and The Moon Tells Secrets, written under the pen name Savanna Welles. A former executive editor of Essence magazine, she is married to noted screenwriter and playwright Richard Wesley, and has two adult daughters.