Delicate cookies flavored with vanilla make an elegant dessert in Vanilla French Madeleines. Vanilla French Madeleines pictured with Rosy Bittersweet Chocolate Pots de Crème.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- Vanilla sugar, for sprinkling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for sifting, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Garnish: vanilla sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease wells of 4 (12-well) madeleine pans with softened butter. Sprinkle vanilla sugar heavily but evenly over buttered wells. Sift flour over buttered wells to dust lightly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, granulated sugar, and vanilla bean paste with a mixer at high speed until pale and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes. Gradually add half of flour mixture to egg mixture, beating at medium speed until incorporated. Slowly add melted butter, beating until well blended. Add remaining flour mixture, beating until combined. Let batter stand for 5 minutes.
- Spoon approximately 1 tablespoon batter into each prepared well, smoothing with a fingertip to create a level surface.
- Bake until edges of madeleines are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove madeleines from pans. Let cool completely on wire racks.
- Just before serving, garnish with a sprinkle of vanilla sugar, if desired.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!