These sweet Vanilla Heart Scones are delectable treat.
Vanilla Heart Scones
- 2 cups unbleached white fine pastry flour, such as Bob’s Red Mill
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 vanilla bean pod
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons cold heavy whipping cream
- Garnish: additional granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Using a sharp knife, split vanilla bean pod lengthwise, and scrape seeds into cream. Whisk until blended. Add to flour mixture, stirring until evenly moist. (If dough seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently 4 to 5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a ½-inch thickness. Using a 2¼-inch fluted heart-shaped cutter, cut 13 scones from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Garnish tops of scones with additional granulated sugar, if desired.
- Bake until edges are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, approximately 15 minutes.
- Serve warm.
From TeaTime May/June 2017