This lovely Vanilla, Sour Cream & Poppy-Seed Bundt Cake is the centerpiece of a festive afternoon tea.
Vanilla, Sour Cream & Poppy-Seed Bundt Cake
Yield: 12 to 16 servings
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Spray a 6-cup Bundt pan* with baking spray with flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar. Beat at high speed with a mixer until light and fluffy, approximately 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, poppy seeds, baking soda, and salt, whisking well.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream, milk, vanilla extract, and butter flavoring, stirring to blend.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture in thirds, alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing surface. Tap pan on countertop to reduce air bubbles.
- Bake until top of cake is golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, approximately 55 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Using a long serrated knife, trim crust from cake level with pan. Invert cake onto a wire cooling rack, and let cool completely.
- Garnish cake with a dusting of confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
*We used Nordic Ware’s 6-Cup Anniversary Cast Bundt Pan.
From TeaTime May/June 2016
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!