Serve these delicious Very Chocolaty Scones with tasty strawberry preserves for a toothsome treat.
Very Chocolaty Scones
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ⅓ cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- ¼ cup milk chocolate morsels
- ¼ cup chopped bittersweet chocolate baking bar
- 1¼ cups plus 1 tablespoon cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugars, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add chocolates, stirring well.
- In a small bowl, stir together 1¼ cups cream and vanilla extract. Add to flour mixture, stirring until a dough begins to form. (If mixture seems dry and dough won’t come together, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead gently until smooth by patting dough and folding it in half 4 to 5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a 1-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch round cutter dipped in flour, cut 12 scones from dough. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Brush tops of scones with remaining 1 tablespoon cream.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden, 18 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!