Chopped walnuts, ground cardamom, vanilla extract, and orange zest with rich dusting of confectioners’ sugar create tasty snowball cookies.
- 2 cups salted butter, softened
- 2½ cups confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¹⁄8 teaspoon orange extract
- 3¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- 1¼ teaspoons ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine butter and 1½ cups confectioners’ sugar. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add vanilla extract and orange extract, beating to combine. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, orange zest, cardamom, and salt. Add to butter mixture, beating at low to medium speed. Add walnuts, beating at low speed to combine.
- Using a levered 1-tablespoon scoop, portion dough and roll into balls. Place dough balls 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake until edges of cookies are light golden brown, approximately 15 minutes. Place remaining 1 cup confectioners’ sugar in a shallow bowl, and roll warm cookies in it. Place on wire racks to cool completely.
- Store cookies in an airtight container between layers of waxed paper.
From TeaTime January/February 2014
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!