These vegan Walnut-Date Mini Muffins are chock full of dates, walnuts, and spices.
Walnut-Date Mini Muffins
Yield: 24 mini muffins • Preparation: 15 minutes • Bake: 9 to 10 minutes
Write a review
- 3½ cups self-rising soft-wheat flour*
- ¾ cup sugar, divided
- ¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2½ teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- ¾ cup soy milk
- ½ cup soy cream
- ⅓ cup applesauce
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup vegan butter†, melted
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Spray a 24-well mini muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, ¼ cup sugar, brown sugar, dates, walnuts, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves, whisking well. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine milk, cream, applesauce, oil, lemon juice, and vanilla. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until ingredients are combined. Divide batter evenly among wells of prepared muffin pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 9 to 10 minutes. Remove muffins from pan, and cool slightly on wire racks.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ½ cup sugar and remaining ½ teaspoon cinnamon, stirring well.
- Dip tops of muffins into melted butter and then into cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- *For testing purposes, we used White Lily Enriched Bleached Self-Rising Flour, available in grocery stores throughout the Southeastern region of the United States and online at whitelily.com.
- †For testing purposes, we used Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread (earthbalancenatural.com).
- • Muffins can be made in advance and frozen in a sealed container. Thaw before serving.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/