Serve these scrumptious Watercress and Egg Salad Tea Sandwiches at your next afternoon tea for a tasty and refreshing savory. Watercress and Egg Salad Tea Sandwiches pictured with Cucumber & Tarragon Tea Sandwiches and Dijon–Smoked Salmon Tea Sandwiches.
- 6 slices seedless rye sandwich bread, frozen
- 6 large eggs, hard-cooked, peeled, and finely chopped
- ¼ cup mayonnaise, plus more for bread
- 2 teaspoons course-ground Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- ½ cup watercress
- Using a serrated bread knife in a gentle sawing motion, trim and discard crusts from frozen bread slices. Cut each bread slice in half vertically and horizontally into 4 (approximately 2½×1½-inch) rectangles. Cover bread with damp paper towels, or place bread in a resealable plastic bag to prevent drying out.
- In a medium bowl, stir together chopped eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, salt, and paprika. Spread a layer of egg salad onto 12 bread rectangles. Top egg salad with a layer of watercress. Spread a small amount of mayonnaise onto remaining 12 bread rectangles, and place atop watercress, mayonnaise side down. Serve immediately, or cover with damp paper towels, place in an airtight container, and refrigerate for a few hours until serving time.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!