Orange zest gives these Raisin-Orange Scones a fresh citrus taste.
Yield: 14 scones
Write a review
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh orange zest
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into pieces
- ⅓ cup raisins
- 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, orange zest, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add raisins, stirring to combine. Set aside.
- In a liquid-measuring cup, combine ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons cream and vanilla extract, stirring to blend. Add to flour mixture, stirring until mixture comes together. (If dough seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough is uniformly moist.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently 3 to 5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a ½-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch square cutter, cut 14 scones from dough. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Brush tops of scones with remaining 2 tablespoons cream.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Recommended Condiments: Clotted Cream, Orange Marmalade
TeaTime Magazine http://www.teatimemagazine.com/