A mixture of almond butter and currant jelly fills these charming tea sandwiches that are shaped like teddy bears.
Almond Butter & Currant Jelly Teddy Bears
Dried currants are used for the eyes and nose, while the bow tie is cut from fruit leather.
- 12 slices firm 100% whole wheat bread, frozen
- ⅓ cup almond butter
- 2½ tablespoons currant jelly
- 8 inches fruit leather
- 18 dried currants
- Using a 3¼-inch bear-shaped cutter, cut 12 shapes from bread slices. To prevent bread from drying out during assembly and thawing, cover with damp paper towels, or store in a resealable plastic bag.
- In a small bowl, vigorously stir together almond butter and currant jelly until combined and smooth. Transfer mixture to a piping bag fitted with a medium round tip (Wilton #12). Pipe a border of mixture around edges of 6 bread bears and pipe more mixture to fill border. Top each with a remaining bread bear to make 6 sandwiches.
- Using a sharp-pointed paring knife, cut 6 small bow ties from fruit leather. Place bowties on necks of bears. Arrange currants on faces for eyes and noses, pressing down lightly. (If needed, pipe a dot of almond butter mixture to adhere currants to bread.) Serve immediately, or cover with damp paper towels, place in a covered container, and refrigerate for a few hours until serving time.