These Chinese Green Salad Baskets full of bright and lively flavor.
Chinese Green Salad Baskets
Yield: 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 refrigerated egg-roll wrappers
- 2 cups chopped butter lettuce
- ½ cup chopped fresh snow peas
- ½ cup chopped cucumber
- ½ cup chopped radish
- ¼ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- ¼ cup finely chopped purple onion
- 1 recipe Hoisin Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Lightly brush 8 wells of a standard-size muffin pan with olive oil. Set aside.
- Cut egg-roll wrappers into 4½-inch squares. Brush squares with olive oil. Press squares into prepared muffin pan, forming a basket shape.
- Bake until wrappers are crispy and edges are golden brown, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from pan, and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- When ready to serve, divide lettuce, snow peas, cucumber, radish, bell pepper, and onion evenly among baskets. Drizzle with Hoisin Vinaigrette to taste.
Yield: approximately ½ cup
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- In a small bowl, combine hoisin sauce and rice vinegar. Add canola oil and sesame oil in a steady stream, whisking vigorously until incorporated.
MAKE-AHEAD TIP: Egg-roll wrapper baskets and Hoisin Vinaigrette may be made a day in advance. Store baskets in an airtight container at room temperature. Refrigerate vinaigrette in an airtight container. Let it come to room temperature before serving, and whisk to blend.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your copy of TeaTime, May/June 2013 today!