These pretty Ham, Pineapple, and Cucumber Sandwiches, garnished with thin slices of cucumber and edible radish flowers, will add a touch of elegance to your tea table.
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup chopped cucumber
- ⅓ cup chopped pineapple
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 slices white sandwich bread, such as Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse Style White Sandwich Bread
- 8 very thin slices smoked ham
- Garnish: cucumber slices and radish flowers*
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese and cream. Beat at high speed with a mixer until smooth. Add cucumber, pineapple, chives, and pepper, beating until incorporated. Set aside.
- Using a 2-inch square cutter, cut 16 shapes from bread slices, discarding scraps. Cover with damp paper towels to prevent drying out, or store in a resealable plastic bag.
- Spread cream-cheese mixture onto 2 bread squares. Fold a slice of ham in half, and place on top of cream cheese side of 1 square, gathering and folding ham to ruffle it and trimming ham to fit, if necessary. Top with other bread square, cream-heese side down. Repeat with remaining ham and bread squares.
- Garnish with cucumber slices and radish flowers, if desired.
- *Radish flowers are available from Gourmet Sweet Botanicals, 800-931-7530.
- • Cream-cheese mixture can be made a day in advance and refrigerated in a covered container. Let come to room temperature before using. Bread squares can be cut a day in advance and stored in a resealable plastic bag. Sandwiches can be assembled earlier in the day, covered with damp paper towels, and refrigerated in an airtight container. Garnish just before serving.
From TeaTime March/April 2014
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!