These toothsome Lemon-Ginger Scones includes fresh lemon zest and crystallized ginger.
Yield: 7 to 9 scones • Preparation: 15 minutes • Bake: 20 minutes
- 1½ cups self-rising flour*
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cold butter
- ¼ cup minced crystallized ginger
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add crystallized ginger and lemon zest, tossing to combine. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine cream and lemon extract, stirring well. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until dough comes together. (If mixture seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until a dough forms.)
- Using a ¼-cup springloaded scoop, drop dough onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until edges are golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.
*For testing purposes, we used White Lily self-rising flour.
From TeaTime January/February 2012
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!