These Macadamia-Coconut French Macarons with toasted coconut–cream cheese filling are simply decadent.
Macadamia-Coconut French Macarons
- 3 large egg whites
- 1½ cups salted whole macadamia nuts
- 1½ cups confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 recipe Toasted Coconut–Cream Cheese Filling (recipe follows)
- Garnish: toasted minced coconut (reserved from Toasted Coconut–Cream Cheese Filling)
- Place egg whites in a large bowl, and let stand at room temperature for exactly 3 hours. (Aging egg whites in this manner is essential to creating the perfect macaron.)
- Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a pencil, draw 40 (2-inch) circles 2 inches apart on parchment paper. Turn parchment paper over.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, combine macadamia nuts and 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar, pulsing until very finely ground. (Don’t overprocess or you will create a nut butter. Nut particles should stay dry and separate but not clump together.) Add remaining confectioners’ sugar, and process just until combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites at medium-high speed with a mixer until frothy. Gradually add granulated sugar and coconut extract, beating at high speed until stiff peaks form, approximately 5 minutes. (Egg whites will be thick, creamy, and shiny.)
- Add macadamia-nut mixture to egg whites, folding until well combined. (Batter should flow off the spatula in thick ribbons.) Let batter stand for 15 minutes.
- Transfer batter to a pastry bag fitted with a medium round tip (Wilton #12). Pipe batter onto drawn circles on prepared baking sheets. Slam baking sheets vigorously on the countertop 5 to 7 times to release air bubbles. Let stand at room temperature for 45 to 60 minutes before baking to help develop the macaron’s signature crisp exterior when baked. (Macarons should feel dry to the touch and should not stick to finger.)
- Preheat oven to 275°.
- Bake macarons until firm to the touch, approximately 24 minutes. Let cool completely on pans. Transfer to an airtight container. Wrap in plastic wrap in groups of 4 to 6 macarons to prevent fragile cookies from crushing or breaking. Refrigerate until ready to fill and serve.
- Place Toasted Coconut–Cream Cheese Filling in a piping bag fitted with a large round tip. Pipe filling onto flat side of a macaron, and top with another macaron, flat sides together. Push down lightly and twist so filling will spread to edges.
- Garnish sides of macarons with reserved toasted coconut, pressing lightly into frosting.
Toasted Coconut–Cream Cheese Filling
Yield: 1 cup
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- ⅔ cup toasted minced coconut, divided
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, cream, and confectioners’ sugar. Beat at high speed with a mixer until smooth. Add ½ cup coconut, stirring until incorporated.
- Reserve remaining coconut to garnish macarons.