Our Mint Julep Tea is a twist on the classic drink of the Kentucky Derby.
Mint Julep Tea
Yield: 3 quarts • Preparation: 15 minutes
- 12 teaspoons mint green tea*
- 12 cups cold water, divided
- Clear cocktail ice cubes
- 1 recipe Simple Syrup (recipe follows)
- 1 (750-milliliter) bottle Kentucky bourbon (optional)
- Garnish: fresh mint leaves
- Place tea leaves in a 48-ounce or larger teapot. Set aside.
- In a teakettle, heat 6 cups water to 180°. Add hot water to prepared teapot, cover, and let steep for 3 minutes. Strain tea into a 3-quart or larger serving pitcher. Add remaining 6 cups water, stirring to blend. Let cool to room temperature.
- To serve, fill a silver julep cup with ice cubes. Pour mint tea over ice, and sweeten to taste with Simple Syrup. Add bourbon to taste, if desired.
- Garnish with fresh mint, if desired.
* For testing purposes, our test kitchen used Simpson & Vail's Moroccan Mint Tea.
Yield: 2 cups • Preparation: 10 minutes
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- In a small saucepan, heat water and sugar just until sugar dissolves, whisking to help dissolve sugar. Remove from heat, and let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate in a covered container until needed.
From TeaTime May/June 2009