Poppyseed, Vanilla, and Grapefruit Glaze combine to create a delicious cookie.
Poppyseed Cookies with Grapefruit Glaze
Makes about 30
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds*, divided
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons grapefruit juice
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and granulated sugar with a mixer at medium speed until creamy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg, almond extract, and vanilla extract, beating until incorporated.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, 1 tablespoon poppy seeds, baking powder, and salt. With mixer at low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until dough comes together.
- Divide dough in half. Place half of dough between 2 sheets of wax paper. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a ¼-inch thickness. Transfer dough to a rimmed baking sheet, and freeze for 15 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Remove chilled dough from freezer, and place on a lightly floured surface. Using a 3½-inch Star of David cutter, cut dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place cookies 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake cookies until edges are lightly golden brown, approximately 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire cooling racks, and let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and grapefruit juice until smooth. Brush glaze onto cooled cookies, and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons poppy seeds. Let cookies dry.
- Store in an airtight container with layers separated by waxed paper.
*We used Whole Blue Poppy Seed from Penzeys.