These Rose Cream Scones with Strawberry-Raspberry Quick Jam are the perfect simple and sweet scone for tea in the garden.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour, such as Swans Down
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into pieces
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon cold heavy whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon rose extract, such as Nielsen-Massey
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cream of tartar, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a liquid-measuring cup, combine cream and rose extract, stirring well. Add to flour mixture, stirring until mixture is evenly moist. (If dough seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently 3 to 4 times. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a ½-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch fluted round cutter, cut 15 scones from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, approximately 15 minutes.
Strawberry-Raspberry Quick Jam (recipe follows)
- 2½ cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- In a medium saucepan, combine strawberries, raspberries, sugar, orange zest, and orange juice. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens, approximately 30 minutes.
- Pour jam into a heatproof bowl, and place bowl in a larger bowl filled with crushed ice. Let jam cool, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer jam to an airtight container, and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks, or freeze for up to 1 year.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your copy of TeaTime Celebrations 2016 today!