This simple Watermelon and Feta Salad is a refreshing summer savory.
Watermelon and Feta Salad
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 (4½-pound) watermelon
- 1 (8-ounce) package feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground pink peppercorns
- 1 recipe White Balsamic Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- Garnish: 6 fresh basil leaves,
- 6 fresh blueberries
- Cut watermelon into 12 (½-inch) slices. Using a 3-inch flower-shaped cutter, cut a flower shape from each watermelon slice.
- Cut feta into 6 (¼-inch) slices. Using a 3-inch flower-shaped cutter, cut a flower shape from each feta slice.
- Press ground peppercorns decoratively into sides of each feta flower.
- Stack a watermelon flower, a feta flower, and another watermelon flower on top of each other. Repeat with remaining watermelon flowers and remaining feta flowers. Cover, and refrigerate until needed.
- Drizzle each stack with White Balsamic Vinaigrette.
- Garnish each stack with a basil leaf and a blueberry, if desired.
- Serve immediately with remaining vinaigrette on the side, if desired.
White Balsamic Vinaigrette
Yield: 1 cup
- ¼ cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup extra-light olive oil
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar, onion, basil, and salt, whisking until well blended. Gradually add olive oil, whisking vigorously until emulsified.