These White-Chocolate-Peppermint Scones taste like the best of the holiday season.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into pieces
- ½ cup chopped white chocolate
- ½ cup crushed soft peppermint candies
- ¾ cup cold heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 recipe Peppermint Cream (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add white chocolate and crushed peppermint, stirring to combine.
- In a liquid-measuring cup, combine cream, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract. Add to flour mixture, stirring until mixture is evenly moist. (If mixture seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead gently 4 to 5 times. Roll dough to a ¾-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch round cutter, cut 10 scones, rerolling scraps as needed. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until scones are light golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Serve with Peppermint Cream, if desired.
Yield: approximately 1½ cups
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup crushed soft peppermint candies
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream and crushed peppermint. Beat at medium-high speed with a mixer until medium peaks form.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until needed.